Dignity crematoria and cemeteries have been serving their local communities for generations. The following are a few examples of our proud heritage.
East London cemetery in Plaistow was laid out in 1872 to meet the increasing demand from the City and surrounding areas of East London.
Beckenham Cemetery in Kent opened in 1876.
Birmingham Crematorium opened in 1903. At this time it was one of only nine crematoria in the UK. It was opened by Sir Henry Thompson, the first president of the Cremation Society.
Streatham Park Cemetery was opened in 1908 to meet the growing needs of families in South London.
St Faith’s Crematorium opened in 1935 to serve the communities of Norfolk.
In 1936 South London Crematorium was opened on the site of Streatham Cemetery and a new crematorium was opened in Dundee.
Oxford Crematorium opened in 1939 on the outskirts of the city.
The Downs Crematorium opened in 1941 on the site of Brighton and Preston Cemetery.
In 1956 a chapel at Beckenham Cemetery was converted to provide cremation facilities.
Hawkinge Crematorium opened the same year on the site of an existing cemetery and Surrey & Sussex Crematorium was also established in Crawley.
Loughborough Crematorium was built in 1960 and was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Leicester.
The following year Randalls Park Crematorium was opened in a beautiful parkland estate in Leatherhead.
Rotherham crematorium was opened in 1962.
Exeter & Devon Crematorium and Lancashire & Morecambe Crematorium were opened in 1963.
The Bishop of Thetford opened Earlham Crematorium in 1964.
Grantham Crematorium was built in 1966 and was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Lincoln, the Right Reverend Kenneth Riches.
Chichester Crematorium was opened in 1971 by the Bishop of Chichester while Counties Crematorium was opened in the same year by the Lord Bishop of Peterborough.
Glynn Valley Crematorium opened in 1989 to serve the community of North Cornwall.
The Heart of England Crematorium opened in 1995 and was dedicated by The Lord Bishop of Coventry, the Right Reverend Simon Barrington-Ward.
Holmsford Bridge Crematorium was opened two years later to serve the communities of North and East Ayrshire.
Basingstoke Crematorium opened in 1998 to serve the community of North East Hampshire.
Telford Crematorium opened in Shropshire.
Holytown Crematorium in North Lanarkshire opened in 2004 with new, state-of-the-art facilities.
In an innovative Public Private Partnership Dignity began managing Rotherham Crematorium and nine local cemeteries on behalf of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. This contract was the first of its kind in the UK.
In 2009, Dignity acquired another five state-of-the-art facilities: Three Counties Crematorium, Braintree; Wear Valley Crematorium, Bishop Auckland; Sherwood Forest Crematorium, Ollerton; East Lancashire Crematorium, Bury and Charnock Richard Crematorium, Chorley.
Fenland Crematorium opened in 2010 at March in Cambridgeshire. The crematorium was opened by the Mayor of March, Councillor Andrew Pugh followed by a Service of Dedication led by Right Reverend David Thomson, Acting Bishop of Ely and Bishop of Huntingdon.
In 2010 Dignity began to operate Weston Super Mare Crematorium in partnership with North Somerset Council.
Mendip Crematorium in Somerset opened in March 2011.
Wyre Forest Crematorium and Cemetery opened in Worcestershire in December 2011 and is operated in partnership with Wyre Forest District Council.
In 2013 Dignity acquired Haltemprice Crematorium in Hull and East Riding Crematorium in Driffield from Yew Holdings Ltd.