The Simple Funeral
The Simple Funeral offers our usual high standards of funeral care and a dignified send off, with a fixed range of options for you to choose from.
Whether you want a burial or a cremation for your loved one, our Simple Funeral allows you to say your final goodbye in the way you choose. Giving you the option of a service at the place of committal, The Simple Funeral is a suitable choice if you are able to be a little flexible when it comes to choosing the date, time and any additional extras for your loved one's farewell.
Forest Gate Simple Funeral Costs
As part of our service to you, we will also organise the preparation, collection and distribution of the relevant documentation, as well as manage payment of the third party costs required for the funeral to proceed.
Throughout the time your loved one is in our care, they will be treated with respect and consideration at all times, resting in our climate-controlled mortuary. You will be able to visit them in our peaceful and private chapel of rest at a pre-agreed time.
The total estimated cost includes a basic coffin with lining and fittings. This can be replaced with one from our extensive range of coffins and caskets, for an additional cost.
Estimated Cost of Funeral
Estimated cost are for cremation only. Please call us if you would like to discuss burials.
- Simple Funeral£1,995
- (Includes our Park Coffin)
- Plus estimated third party costs for cost of cremation and attendance of a celebrant or minister£1,160
- Total estimated cost excluding optional extras£3,155
The Simple Funeral At a Glance:
- A choice of cremation or burial with an optional service at the place of committal at a mutually agreed time and date for an additional fee
- A suitable option if you have some flexibility when it comes to the date, time and selecting additional services
- Your loved one will be brought into our care by our highly-trained and professional team, using specialist vehicles and equipment
- Personal, face-to-face guidance at every stage of the arrangement process
- A complimentary online Funeral Notice, informing friends and family of the service and commemorating the life of your loved one
- Price includes a basic coffin, with lining and fittings, which you can upgrade to a coffin or casket from our wide selection
- We will liaise with the all necessary third parties on your behalf
- An appointed funeral expert will provide support throughout, directing and ensuring the funeral runs smoothly on the day
- The procession begins at our funeral home and travels directly to the place of committal
- The committal and service take place at the same venue
- Your choices for the date and time of the funeral may be limited
- There are some limitations to further personalisation of the funeral
- You will be able to visit your loved one once before the funeral
Some Important Things to Consider
- Chapel ServiceA funeral using our specialist service venue, followed by an unattended cremation at a Dignity-selected crematoriumFind out more
- Direct CremationA simple, yet dignified cremation, without a service or mourners.Find out more
- Crematorium ServiceA cremation at one of our selected local crematoria and a service at the crematorium at 9am weekdays for up to 20 mourners.Find out more
- Tailored FuneralA fully personalised funeral arranged and conducted by our expert team in accordance with your exact wishes.Find out more
Find out more about a Simple Funeral and what it entails:
Our Simple Funeral provides you with a lower cost funeral, carried out with the same care and attention to detail we apply to everything we do. It is the ideal option if you expect no compromise on the quality and the standard of service, but don't mind a little flexibility when it comes to personalisation.
Your loved one will be looked after in the premium facilities of our Forest Gate funeral home, with one of our professional arrangers on hand to support and take care of you. With the funeral taking place at a mutually agreed time and date, subject to availability, a funeral director, chauffer-driven hearse and pallbearers will be there on the day to ensure everything runs smoothly.
To find out more about our Simple Funeral, call our funeral home on
Our Range of Coffins and Caskets
Our Casket Collection
Our Classic Collection
Our Natural Collection
Our Picture Collection
Our Traditional Collection
We will provide one of our chauffeur-driven hearses to carry the coffin to the funeral service, crematorium or place of committal. Depending upon the type of service you choose, we can personalise the route of this final journey to take in locations that, during life, may have had a specific meaning to your loved one.
A motorised hearse is included in the price of the funeral, but we also have the capacity, at an additional cost, to offer horse-drawn hearses, along with a range of alternative carriages. Popular choices include campervans, motorcycles and fire engines. To find out more, speak to one of the team at Gilderson & Sons Funeral Directors.
Dependent upon the style of vehicle, our funeral cars are usually capable of carrying a maximum of between seven and nine mourners. It is traditional for immediate family to take the first and, if necessary, second limousine, with other family and friends using any additional cars or following on in their own vehicles.
To find out more about our funeral limousines, speak to one of the team at our York funeral home today.
Our Range of Urns
Natural Ashes Containers
Traditional Urns and Ashes Casket
- Our Embalming Service£150
- Our Limousines£250
- Bringing the person who has died into care outside of normal office hours.£195
- Removal of pacemaker.POA
- Co-ordination of ancillary services provided by third parties.£95
- Delivery of ashes within a 20 mile radius of our premises.£50
- Additional mileage charge for the delivery of ashes beyond a 20 mile radius from our premises.£0.50 (per mile)
Essential Third Party Costs
Additional costs need to be paid to various third parties in order for The Simple Funeral to take place. Find out what these are and why they are necessary:
Although our prices include all that we do to ensure you and your loved one receive the greatest of care, there are also third party costs, which are supplementary to the overall price.
Known as disbursements, these may include fees that are payable to the crematorium, the doctor and to the minister or celebrant. The payment of these external costs will be managed by us, along with the coordination of all the documents required to legally allow your loved one's funeral to proceed. Details of the third party costs are included upon your invoice.
Select a tab to find out more about some common disbursements. For information regarding the third party costs for a burial, call us on
Example Third Party Costs
- Crematorium Cost£798
- Doctors Fees£164
- Minister Fee£198
- Total essential third party costs£1,160
There are occasions when the two certificates are not needed, for instance if a coroner has reviewed the circumstances of your loved one's passing, but most of the time they are a legal requirement.
Although the doctor's fees are not included in the price, we will arrange for the payment of this third party cost, along with ensuring the documentation is present and correct, as part of our service to you.
Minister or Celebrant
We can offer guidance on choosing a suitable minister or celebrant to preside over your loved one's funeral service, but you are equally welcome to use somebody you already have a preference for.
Popular choices to lead a cremation service are:
- Religious leaders
- Civil celebrants
- Humanist celebrants
- Friends or members of the family
Optional extras can be added to make your loved one's funeral even more personal, find out more below:
There are optional extras, which, for an additional cost, we can arrange, so that you have the assurance that everything is being taken care of at this difficult time. The tabs here cover the most common optional costs, but the choices are entirely up to you.
Our table provides examples of what some families decide upon, along with the average* of what is spent on each in the UK. To speak to one of our team about additional items or services, call
Example of Optional Funeral Costs
*Data based on UK averages in the SunLife Cost of Dying report 2020
- Venue hire£245
- Death notice£82
- Order sheets/service cards£88
We can help you to choose the right funeral memorial for your loved one and arrange to have it made and, where necessary, installed. Options for a memorial to your loved one include:
- Cremation memorials
- Ashes jewellery
- Cremation urns
- Memorial benches
- Memorial trees
Speak to one of the team at Gilderson & Sons Funeral Directors about a memorial for your loved one. Call us on
Order Sheets and Service Cards
It is often handed out as the mourners arrive at the venue and can be anything from an Order Sheet or Service Card, to a short booklet. These can be made more distinctive with photographs and meaningful quotes to offer a more personal reflection of your loved one. Many choose to keep their Order of Service, treasuring them along with the other special memories and mementos of a life sadly passed.
Whether in the form of an Order Sheet, Service Card or booklet, we can help you to decide upon an Order of Service from the options available to you. To find out more about the choices you have, call our funeral home on