Dignified funeral from £1,995 + third party costs
Jump to a Section
J Rymer are professional funeral directors in Monkgate, York. Our beautiful Georgian funeral home provides a comfort away from home for our visitors, and our compassionate team will help you feel at ease when working out funeral arrangements. Founded in 1848 by James Rymer, we are now managed by the sixth generation of the Rymer family. The many years of knowledge and experience that we have built up are used to ensure that you receive the highest standards of funeral care. You can get in touch with us at any time, knowing that we will be here to advise and guide you at every step. Our telephone lines are open 24 hours a day.Our Simple funeral is available for £1,995 + third party costs, without compromising on the quality of the service that is delivered. Or our Full Service funeral can be tailored just how you wish, whether that be a traditional ceremony or a colourful celebration of life. Call us today on 01904 624320 to talk through your personal requirements.
What We Offer
- Advice and guidance at every step, including registering the death
- Arrangements that are tailored to meet your family's needs
- Local expertise and knowledge
- Cremation or burial at any local crematorium or burial site
- Funeral services of all faiths and cultures
- Viewing of the deceased in the chapel of rest
- Hearses, funeral vehicles and bespoke transport options
- Memorials and tributes
- Prepaid funeral plans
At J Rymer Funeral Directors, we understand how special life is with those that you love. For us, every funeral is unique and personal. We have a service to fulfil every wish, with every detail carried out with the same uncompromising quality of care. From a traditional service, to a colourful woodland burial, your options are limitless with our Full Service Funeral. If you have a little more flexibility when it comes to arrangements, then we can provide a Simple Funeral for a lower cost.
Full Service Funeral
A funeral service that is personalised to honour the final wishes of your loved one, helping you create the perfect funeral. With our professional guidance and support, you will have the opportunity to decide what is included as part of their farewell. With a wealth of unparalleled expertise and local knowledge, we endeavour to honour your every request, no matter how small the detail. Our Full Service Funeral will ensure everything is perfectly organised, delivering a fitting tribute for your loved one.
- Our funeral professionals will care for your loved one in our premium facilities
- Have complete choice over the time, day and location of the funeral service
- Eco-friendly, religious, colourful or any type of funeral you wish can be arranged for you
- Choose your preferred coffin, casket or urn and form of transport
- Arrangement of your favourite flowers, music, stationery and obituary notices
For more information, call us on
Simple Funeral, £1,995
A complete funeral service for a lower cost, with the same quality of care that you would expect from any Dignity Funeral Director. This kind of service is suitable if you have the flexibility to let us choose certain aspects of the service for you, such as the time of the service and the type of coffin. You can rest assured that our fully trained team will care for your loved one with dignity and respect.
- Our funeral experts will look after your loved one in our premium facilities
- You can visit your loved one at our chapel of rest during working hours
- We will provide a chauffeur-driven hearse and pallbearers for the service
- The funeral service will be at a time and place of our choosing
- You will have a funeral director present at the service to oversee arrangements
For more information, call us on
Why choose us?
Funeral services with distinction
Providing the highest standards of care
Expert professionals available 24 hours a day
High quality facilities
Where to find us
Address15 Penleys Grove Street Monkgate York YO31 7PW GB
Parking and Directions
There is parking available for three cars.
We are located ten minutes away from the city centre, two miles from Monks Cross Park & Ride.
Our staff are available 24 hours a day on 01904 624320 if you require our services outside of these hours.
|Day of the Week||Hours|
|Mon||09:00 - 17:00|
|Tue||09:00 - 17:00|
|Wed||09:00 - 17:00|
|Thu||09:00 - 17:00|
|Fri||09:00 - 17:00|
Supporting you along the way
What to do when someone dies
It’s perfectly normal to be unsure of what you need to do following the death of a loved one. This guide and checklist will explain the first steps you need to take so you can start making any necessary funeral arrangements.Find Out More
Making funeral arrangements
Our guide to funeral arrangements will help you arrange a fitting funeral for your loved one. Learn more about funeral flowers, popular songs for funerals, our range of coffins and how to write a memorable eulogy.Find Out More
The day of the funeral
This guide will explain what happens at a funeral; including the funeral procession, funeral service, committal service and the wake. We will be here to help you through every step of the journey.Find Out More
Reviews of our services
Rating 5.0based on 5 Reviews
- Rating 5.05 December 2018My brother and I were both extremely satisfied with the level of service provided by J. Rymers at the funeral of our mother. The whole occasion went off perfectly, and if my mother could have seen it, she would have been very pleased.Response on behalf of J Rymer Funeral Directors5 December 2018Thank you for posting your review online. I am pleased that we were able to look after you and your family at this difficult time and that the arrangements for your Mother were carried out to your satisfaction.
- Rating 5.024 November 2018Gary was superb and made dealing with all admin so easy and less stressfulResponse on behalf of J Rymer Funeral Directors26 November 2018Thank you for taking the time to send your online review to us. I am pleased we were able to help make things easier for you at such a difficult time and that all of the arrangements were carried out to your satisfaction.
- Rating 5.013 November 2018Very professional. Attention to detail and friendly staff.Response on behalf of J Rymer Funeral Directors13 November 2018Thank you for the comments left as part of your online review. I am glad that all of your wishes and requirements were carried out by the team as you had requested.
- Rating 5.06 November 2018Caring, courteous and professional.
Just what was needed, thank you Martin, Georgina et al.Response on behalf of J Rymer Funeral Directors7 November 2018Thank you for posting your review online. I am pleased that we were able to look after you and your family at this difficult time and that we were able to provide you with the care and support needed.
- Rating 5.026 October 2018We thought that the day of the funeral would be an ordeal but everything was handled so beautifully that we can actually look back at it with a smile.Response on behalf of J Rymer Funeral Directors26 October 2018Thank you for the kind comments posted on your online review. I am pleased we were able to help make things easier for you at such a difficult time and that we were able to help ease any worries that you may have had.