99 Hartington Road
East Sussex

Telephone: 01273 572472

Cemetery information

Brighton and Preston Cemetery was opened in 1886 and the grounds cover approximately 28 acres.

An unusual piece of history associated with the cemetery relates to an old chapel that used to be situated in The Lanes in Brighton. When the Union Chapel was converted into a public house in 1904 the burials were exhumed and interred within Brighton and Preston Cemetery. The cemetery has an inscribed memorial that records this unusual event.

The old chapel that stands within the cemetery grounds was part of Scabes Castle Lodge until around 1895. It was originally used for services but is now used as a marker for visitors to the grounds.

Opening Hours

The Office:
Our office buildings are open. The CMG are encouraging booking an appointment prior to visiting. Please contact the crematorium directly to make an appointment.

The collection of cremated remains and memorial consultations can still take place by means of an appointment.

The Grounds:
Our grounds remain open to members of the public.

The Memorial Office:
Appointments can be made by contacting the crematorium directly by telephone.

The Book of Remembrance Room:
Our Book of Remembrance is available during normal office hours. Before visiting please contact the crematorium directly.

Back to index page