Grange Road
Plaistow
London
E13 0HB

Telephone: 020 7476 5109

Cemetery information

The East London Cemetery is in Plaistow, which is in the London Borough of Newham. The cemetery was founded in 1871 and laid out in 1872 to meet the increasing demand from the City and surrounding areas of East London. The cemetery covers approximately 33 acres and has two 19th century chapels.

The first funeral service took place on the 8 August 1872 in the burial chapel, which had been consecrated by the Church of England. The stained-glass windows within the chapel were designed by Archibald John Davies (1877-1953) and were produced during the period 1930-32. The subject matter relates to Saint Michael and All Angels, after whom the chapel is dedicated. The chapel can seat 60 people.

The cemetery is full of unique and personalised memorials such as the old lady with the handbag, Billy's dartboard and a child playing football. There is a great sense of community, and it is not unusual for generations of families to be buried close together.

There is also the great ship's anchor on the memorial to those killed when the viewing platform collapsed at the launch of HMS Albion in 1898. The iron works that made the ship is where the football club, West Ham United was founded. The claret and blue of their kit is actually the colours of the shipyard and the crossed riveting hammers on the club crest indicate the link to the shipyard.

Famous, or infamous, people laid to rest at the cemetery include Lilian Bayliss, the theatrical producer and director; Elizabeth Stride, the third victim of Jack the Ripper; Queenie Watts, the actress who starred in many Carry On films and Karl Hans Lody, the last person to be shot in the Tower of London as a spy.

Opening Hours

The Office:
Our office buildings are open. To ensure we can manage footfall and sanitise these areas appropriately and in accordance with current Government Guidelines, The CMG are encouraging booking an appointment prior to visiting. Please contact the crematorium directly to make an appointment.

The collection of cremated remains and memorial consultations can still take place by means of an appointment.

The Grounds:
Our grounds remain open to members of the public.

The CMG would like to politely remind all visitors that social distancing must always be respected within our grounds in accordance with Government Guidelines.

The Memorial Office:
Appointments can be made by contacting the crematorium directly by telephone.

The Book of Remembrance Room:
Our Book of Remembrance is available during normal office hours. Before visiting please contact the crematorium directly.

Parking

Parking is available on the roads within the crematorium grounds.

Back to index page

  • Expand map
  • Get directions