A G Simmonds & Sons Funeral Directors, Barnstaple
Barnstaple funeral home
Having served the families of North Devon since 1918, you can be sure that our longstanding connection to the town means we have both the experience and the local knowledge to give your loved one a truly personal funeral. One that meets your requirements.
Our team of funeral directors in Barnstaple will be ready to offer assistance and comfort in your time of need, providing advice and a shoulder to cry on whenever you need it. The care we offer to your loved one is also second to none, and performed to the highest standards while they rest here.
Our Barnstaple funeral home is located on Queen Street, where we have been since the move from our original location on Trinity Street. As well as the families of the town, we also serve our neighbouring communities in North Devon, such as Braunton, Bideford and Northam.
You can rely on us to arrange a fitting goodbye to your loved one. Call 01271 342774 today, to speak to our Barnstaple funeral directors and discuss your needs.
What we offer
- A team of funeral professionals, on hand to give you expert guidance and advice
- Funerals arranged to meet your wishes, down to the smallest detail
- Cremation and burial services, held at a local crematorium, church or other funeral site of your choosing
- Local knowledge of Barnstaple and the surrounding area of North Devon
- Services arranged to suit all faiths, cultures and beliefs
- A private chapel of rest, where you can spend time with your loved one
- Hearses, limousines and bespoke vehicle options for a more unique or personal touch
- Memorials, headstones and a range of beautifully-crafted funeral tributes
- A selection of prepaid funeral plans, giving you and your family peace of mind
When planning a funeral in Barnstaple, you may wish to consider the following:
- What kind of funeral will it be? Do you want a traditional funeral or something more contemporary or unique? Is it going to be a cremation or a burial, religious or humanist? If you've yet to make a decision, we will be able to help you reach one, based on your needs
- Where will it be held? The funeral service can be held in a number locations, not just a place of worship or a crematorium. Some people choose to hold the service at home, or in a village hall or hotel. We can advise on suitable venues in Barnstaple for your loved one's send off
- Will there be music or readings? You can make the funeral more personal by including a song or songs that your loved one liked or meant something to both of you. A reading, such as poetry or a passage of meaningful text can help bring comfort to those attending, and you may even wish to write or read the eulogy yourself
- Floral tributes or charity donations? A lot of people nowadays choose to forgo flowers and ask that the mourners make a contribution to a chosen charity instead. At the end of the day, the decision is entirely up to you.
Funeral Services with distinction
At A G Simmonds & Sons, we are honoured to serve and live among the families of North Devon. As a longstanding part of the community, having provided support to the town for over 100 years, you can be sure of both our local knowledge and funeral expertise.
Our funeral services
If you’re looking for a traditional or contemporary funeral with a service, you should consider our Attended Funeral. If you want us to arrange a simple cremation without mourners present, our Unattended Funeral may better suit your needs.
View our Standardised Price List and Additional Options Price List.
The Unattended FuneralWe will help you arrange a simple funeral consisting of a direct cremation without mourners present.Our Unattended Funeral allows friends and family to commemorate your loved one in their own way. Our expert funeral directors will provide all necessary care, while offering advice and support every step of the way. A cremation will then be carried out without mourners present, overseen by one of our qualified attendants.Find out more
The Unattended FuneralWe will help you arrange a simple funeral consisting of a direct cremation without mourners present.From£995(Includes cost of cremation).(Includes cost of cremation).Our Unattended Funeral allows friends and family to commemorate your loved one in their own way. Our expert funeral directors will provide all necessary care, while offering advice and support every step of the way. A cremation will then be carried out without mourners present, overseen by one of our qualified attendants.
The Attended FuneralA fully personalised funeral arranged and conducted by our expert teams in accordance with your exact wishes.Our expert team will take care of your loved one with the utmost dignity and respect, while we help arrange a personalised funeral with any additional services you wish.Find out more
The Attended FuneralA fully personalised funeral arranged and conducted by our expert teams in accordance with your exact wishes.From£1,995plus £1,093 estimated third party costs for cost of cremation, doctor's fees and attendance of a celebrant or minister.plus £1,093 estimated third party costs for cost of cremation, doctor's fees and attendance of a celebrant or minister.
Where to find us
Directions and Parking
We have disabled parking at our funeral home and there are three car parks close by.
Funeral Home Opening Times
|Day of the Week||Hours|
|Monday||09:00 - 17:00|
|Tuesday||09:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday||09:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||09:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||09:00 - 17:00|
24 Hour Availability
Supporting you along the way
What to do when someone diesA series of guides explaining what needs to be done after a loved one passes away. Covering each stage of the process, they are carefully written to help lift some of the uncertainty you may currently be facing.Find out more
Planning a funeralThese guides, covering the planning of a funeral, will help you to ensure the send off is a personal and dignified occasion. We will be here to support you throughout, giving advice so that we can arrange a service that truly reflects your loved one's life.Find out more
The day of the funeralThe prospect of an upcoming funeral can be a daunting one, which is why we have produced this guide to remove some of the mystery. You'll find out what happens on the day, from the procession to the final resting place, through to the committal and wake. Rest assured that when the time comes, we will be with you every step of the way.Find out more
Frequently asked questions
When someone dies, the first steps will depend on how and where the person passed away. Our step-by-step guides will walk you through the practical steps. For additional support and personal advice, please get in touch with us.
You don't have to make an appointment at our funeral homes. However, doing so will ensure that someone can be available to cater to your needs. When arranging a funeral, our Funeral Directors are happy to visit you in your own home, if required.
Third party funeral costs are additional charges which we will manage for you and attach to your single invoice. Get in touch with us to confirm costs and plan a funeral to fit your budget.
If you choose to arrange the funeral with us, you will be given the option of a complimentary Funeral Notice. We will set it up for you using the details discussed during the arrangements. All we need is an email address.
Dignity Funeral Plans let you pay for your funeral in advance and at today's price. It's a way of taking control of the unexpected, setting out the arrangements and limiting the costs by paying for the services included in the funeral plan upfront.
Reviews of our services
Myself and my family will be forever grateful for the way in which Sarah and her team handled this very distressing situation and I can't thank them enough. Everyone of Sarah's team care about the work that they do and are a real credit to Dignity.
After contacting them initially we found that certain departments made mistakes which caused a lot more worry and heartache which we could have done without at this troubling time.However Sarah,who looked after us worked like a trojan to iron out these difficulties enabling us to meet the cremation deadlines which we thought would never meet.
I cannot thank all the staff concerned enough,Sarah herself took the service which everyone who attended thought it was a most memorable time and was more of a celebration(she was nearly 101).
I would not hesitate in recommending A.G.Simmonds as they really knowff the meaning of Dignity.
Geoff Adams on behalf of the family of my mother Mrs Ruth Maud Adams.
Would recommend anyone to use there service. Also Sarah recommended a florist just a little way down the street which was a really nice florist the flowers were lovely. Many thanks to A G Simmonds and there team excellent service