Call us 24 hours a day on:

0800 456 1047

Who you will need to notify about the death

When a loved one passes away, you will need to notify various organisations about the death as soon as possible.

Who to inform first

  • The person’s GP
  • Relatives and friends
  • The funeral director
  • Register office
  • Employer/school
  • Health professionals – you may need to cancel any outstanding hospital appointments

Property and bills

  • Mortgage provider or landlord
  • Utility companies (electricity, gas and water)
  • Buildings and contents insurance provider
  • Mobile phone provider
  • Broadband
  • TV companies


  • HM revenue and Customs for tax purposes
  • Pension providers
  • Passport agency
  • DVLA if the deceased held a driving license
  • Local council for council tax and Electoral Register

The Tell Us Once service will allow you to notify the above government departments at the same time. You can also download our guide here.


  • Bank and building societies
  • Insurance companies (life, car and travel)
  • Credit card providers
  • Solicitor
  • Accountant

The Death Notification Service has been created to allow you to notify a person’s death to a number of banks and building societies at the same time.


  • Dentist
  • Optician
  • Subscriptions
  • Social groups and clubs
  • Re-direct the post
  • Close online and social media accounts

If a loved has passed away, The Bereavement Register will help you reduce the amount of unwanted marketing post being sent to them, stopping painful daily reminders.

Image Description

Has a loved one passed away?

If someone has passed, please call us immediately. We are available 24/7, to help and guide you at every step

Call us any time of day on:

0800 456 1047

What to do when someone dies: Common questions

A list of common questions we're asked by families after the death of a loved one.

Find out more

Find a Funeral Director

Call us 24/7 on 0800 456 1047